Česká Street in the western part of the historic center of České Budějovice is a magic place with Baroque houses from the first half of the 18th century. They are mostly free of any prominent architectural or decorative details. The row of houses in Česká Street adjoining the Dominican monastery has a very simple design, but it catches the eye with its standardization, which is not at all common in the Czech context. The houses were built following the fire of 1728 over a short period of six years thanks to the money provided by St Wenceslas Hospital and Church. The standardized buildings have vaulted ground floors, partitioned by the characteristic central hallway leading to a staircase to the upper floor with residential units. Compared to other townhouses, however, they lack any outbuildings, and have thus always been undoubtedly considered housing for the poor.