The city of České Budějovice was founded in 1265 by the Bohemian King Premysl Otakar II. at the confluence of 2 rivers, Vltava and Malše. This South Bohemian capital with an area of almost 56 km2 and population of nearly 100 thousand is currently an administrative, educational, cultural, and transport centre. It is home to important institutions such as, among others, the University of South Bohemia, the Research Library of South Bohemia, research institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences, and countless historical monuments. Industry and brewing also have had a long-time tradition in Budějovice. A myriad of cultural events, which can be found in the cultural calendar at www.inbudejovice.cz is also held here throughout the year.
Tourist Information Centre contact details:
TURISTICKÉ INFORMAČNÍ CENTRUM
náměstí Přemysla Otakara II. 1/1
370 01 České Budějovice
Downloadable Photos: photographs here